Monday, February 7, 2011

Does apples mean healthy?


I've been wanting to make these cookies for about a month, and so I made my excuse Valentines day. Carmel has been a favorite of mine and my mothers for quite a long time, so I love making cookies with them. I got this recipe from Hot Polka Dot, who is a genius and made this one up, and the biscuits from my last post. I know they look delicious, but these cookies were harder to make than chocolate chip cookies (and a lot messier!). I used Fiji Apples, because they were the cheapest but the original recipe didn't specify. I used like two and a quarter apples and I think that was too much, so only use to and less is defiantly more with the apple in these.

Caramel Apple Surprise Cookies
makes 20-36 cookies


1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla 
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup apple, skinned and chopped
3 dozen caramels, slightly flattened. 

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars. Then add the eggs and vanilla.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg*. Then stir it in with the large bowl.
Gently mix in the chopped and skinned apples.
Put the dough in the freezer for 30 min - an hour and preheat the oven to 350 degrees, also line your cookies sheets with parchment paper.
When the dough is stiff, scoop a tablespoon and take a flattened carmel, put the carmel in the middle and then cover it with the dough. Make sure the carmel is completely covered and that none is sticking out. Put the scoop onto your cookie sheet.
I had 6 cookies per cookie sheet. Once, yours is full, put the cookies in the oven for 10-11 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. let them sit for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

*This is from the original recipe, it's not on the list of ingredients and i wrote the author of hot polka dot and asked about it, i put a few sprinkles of nutmeg in my dough but I think that it will be fine without the nutmeg.

My cookies turned out really big so if you're going to make these try to make your scoops really small, its really hard with the apple and the carmel but trust me, if you can do it it'll be worth it!
They turned out delicious and I think this recipe is going to be a keeper for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment