Monday, February 14, 2011

Winter is the time for peppermint, and coffee!


I'm always looking for a reason to bake and my co-workers are always happy for a treat waiting in the break room. I've never made cupcakes from scratch before, so I decided to make them my guinea pigs for my first batch. These cupcakes sounded so good, I loved my last experience baking with mint and coffee baked goods are always delish! Nevertheless, I was super nervous! My parents and boyfriend always try everything first, and they told me that the cupcakes were really good! Even better, everyone at work loved them too! I had to improvise with the ingredients a little, and they seemed to take forever to make, and I admit, I cheated with the frosting (don't stone me!),  but from what everyone said, the cupcakes are totally worth it! Pure & Yummy posted this recipe before me and here it is:
Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
makes 35 cupcakes
2 2/3 cups flour
2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2-3 tsp. espresso powder (I couldn't find this so I used my dads instant decaf coffee)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk
1 cup strong brewed coffee
1 tsp. peppermint extract
2 sticks unsalted butter- at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and like your cupcake pans with your paper liners.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir together.
In a another medium sized bowl, combine the milk, coffee and peppermint extract.
In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Beat on medium high until light and fluffy, 2-3 minuets, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Blend in the eggs one at a time.
Mix in the dry and liquid ingredients alternating between the two. Begin and end with the dry ingredients.
Pour the batter into the cupcake liners; about 3/4 full. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. let cool for 5-10 minuets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

after all that work, I wasn't in the mood to make the peppermint frosting. Knowing myself ahead of time I bought a container of buttercream frosting. I don't usually like to not make something from scratch, but I gave myself a break, being the first time making cupcakes.
I put all the frosting in a bowl and added a dash of the peppermint extract and red food coloring and mixed it together, adding more food coloring until I got the color I liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment