Monday, July 25, 2011

Raspberry Crumb Bars


So I'm not sure If you know, but I LOVE all things raspberry. How can you not? We had a raspberry bush in my backyard when I was a kid and me and my brother would always eat them right off of it so maybe that's where my love comes from. I've never had a raspberry bar but I saw the picture on The Galley Gourmet, where I found the recipe, I knew I had to soon! I actually got to have a bar and I loved them so much I ended up eating three in a row! Let me tell you they are quite delish!!

This was another "learning experience" for me but I'm starting to learn that every time you cook you learn something new, which is why it's so fun! The recipe says to sprinkle the top layer on, but mine was really sticky and doughy so I added more flour and I still wasn't able to sprinkle it, so i picked pieces and placed them on top of the raspberry. Also I didn't measure how much jam I put in the middle and I'd recommend either doing so, but I think the more the better!

I wanted to share my new find! I bought the cutest oven mitt at my favorite store, Sur La Table on clearance for like five dollars! Such a good steal :) Don't you love it?

I also bought some cookie cutters and I want to use them soon, so if you know a good cookie recipe that I can use them with send me an email with the recipe and I'll post it on my blog! (click email to send me one)
Don't forget to leave comments and let me know what you think of this post!!!

Raspberry Crumb Bars

For the bottom layer:
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into individual tablespoons
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup seedless raspberry preserves or jam

For the crumb layer:
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into individual tablespoons
1 extra large egg
1 tablespoon milk

Place your oven rack in the center position. 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving overhang for easy removal.

Part I: Bottom Layer
Put the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer. 
Add the butter and pulse on and off until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add the milk and almond extract and pulse on and off until the mixture comes together. 
Transfer the mixture into the pan, spread and press firmly, making a smooth and even layer. 
Refrigerate 15-20 minutes. 
Bake the bottom layer for 12-15 minutes, until it's barely firm in the center.

Part II: The Top Layer
While the bottom layer is baking, prepare the top layer.
Clean your mixing bowl and then add the flour, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Pulse to combine.
Sprinkle the butter pieces over the flour mixture and process until the mixture is well blended. Add the egg and mil and pulse until the mixture is moistened and forms small clumps. 
When the bottom layer is done baking, remove and spread the raspberry jam evenly over the hot crust. 
Sprinkle the top layer over the top, braking any large crumbs with your fingers. 
Bake until the top is barley browned and the jam is bubbly, about 25-30 minuets. 
Remove and place on a rack to cool completely.
Cut into desired sized bars and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment