Sunday, October 2, 2011

Delicious End of Summer Hash

My food photography has slowly been improving.
Very slowly.
Today, I realized that my camera, which is pink and I love it, has been on the people setting this whole time.
There is a big difference, but what do you think?


One reason I've been concerned about my lack of photography skills (which may not have been my lack of skills at all turns out!) is because I've been trying to get on one of my favorite sites, TasteSpotting for a while, and I keep getting denied for my less than mediocre pictures. But hopefully, now that i've spotted the root of my problem, I will make an appearance, and you bet your bottom dollar I will let you all know if/ when that happens!
I also want to take a second to thank someone, my friend Sara Burket. She is the one who told me about TasteSpotting in the first place, which is how I found that I love cooking blogs, which is why I started my own. So Sara, I have no idea if you read this but, thanks, girl :)

Now, to the food. 
I have never had a hash before. But this looked delicious.
Oh and it was. My exact description right after my first bite was, "Amazingness bursted in my mouth."
Yes. It was that good. 
I had never cooked zucchini before, but i really liked it cooked and it wasn't difficult at all. 
Now, I'm from the midwest. So husking the corn was nothing, you can buy it pre husked here. That just seems weird to me. Something I have never done, is cut the corn off the cob. It was weird. 
I was thinking this would taste with fried rice in it too. Yum. Also feel free to add in different vegetables, but it was pretty near perfect as is.
The original recipe from Savy Eats used paprika, salt, pepper, and coriander. I'm going to admit now, I have no idea what coriander is and I didn't see it at the grocery store. But, I do like a lot of flavor in my food, so I added the pepper, paprika, cilantro, cumin, and Italian Herb, (by Penzeys Spices). I put a lot of each in, on the potatoes and onion, and on top of the zucchini and corn, and then on top of all it. I used red potatoes, the original recipe used Yukon gold potatoes. I'm sure either would still taste good, it's up to you. I love bacon, so I used 6 slices instead of 4-5. I didn't use salt either. It's healthier.
Make it, enjoy it. 

Summer Hash

1/4 pound bacon (4-5 slices)
4-5 Yukon gold potatoes
1/2 yellow onion
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried & ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 ears of corn
2 small-ish zucchini

Chop the potatoes and onions into bite-sized pieces.
Preheat cast-iron skillet over medium-heat and add the bacon.
Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until crispy. 
Remove and break into pieces and put into a large bowl. 
Add the potatoes and onion in the skillet, along with the a teaspoon paprika and the coriander.
White they're cooking cut the zucchini and corn off the cob.
When the potatoes and onions are tender and done cooking, 10-13 minutes, mix them in with the bacon.
Cook the zucchini and corn in the skillet, about 6-10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and the vegetables are brown. 
Add the vegetables to the bowl and mix everything together. 

enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment