Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mexican Soup




When I was a kid, soup was one of the few things I would actually eat without force. So it became its own food group to me. Even now if I go to long without a nice warm cup of soup I start to crave it.
I was really happy to be making this soup because it reminds me of my Grandma back home in Illinois. She makes the best Mexican food. I remember eating her soup.  Always chunky, spicy, and full of flavor. I also wanted to make zucchini again. It's so delicious.
I'll admit, I went a little happy on the cayenne pepper so the soup was a bit too spicy, learn from me. Less is more. I used fresh oregano and I added dried cilantro also, it just makes everything better. Next time, I might add some sour cream, like in my Tortilla Soup. (Note how much better my photography skills have improved since then.)
Oh by the way this soup is no fat. Enjoy.
Slightly adapted from Alice in Paris loves Art and Tea.

Mexican Soup
serves 4 
6 cups chicken broth
14 ounces canned diced tomatoes
blob of tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, (minced)
1 yellow onion, (chopped)
2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
2 small zucchini, (chopped)
1 carrot, (diced)
1 green pepper, (chopped)
dash of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
pepper to taste
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, (chopped)

Put a large pot on stove on medium-high heat.
Add broth and tomatoes.
Bring to boil, then reduce heat.
Add everything except cilantro and lime juice.
Bring to boil again, then reduce the heat and maintain a slow simmer for 10-15 minutes, until everything is tender.
Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment