Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pork and Chorizo Chili


Every fall my parents friends all get together for their annual chili cook-off. 
Everyone makes a pot of chili and four people are judges and they have to try all of them and rank them. The winner get the traveling chili trophy. There's also a hay-less hayride through the town. So much fun. 
It was today and seeing as how I am in Florida and they're all  in Illinois I didn't get to participate. So as my own way to join in I made chili; and I must say that there is a chance I would have won.
All of the ingredients blended together near perfectly and it was spicy just the way I like it. 
I hadn't made a pork tenderloin before, but I think I did a pretty good job.
I never herd of hominy before, but I guess it's some kind of mexican corn. I found it in the ethnic section in my local grocery store. 
Tis the season for some chili! Make a pot and enjoy. 
I always freeze half of mine and get some later.
Recipe slightly adapted from Pink Parsley

Pork and Chorizo Chili

for the pork tenderloin
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons plack pepper
1/2 tablespoon unsweeteded cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pork tenderloin
1/2 tablespoon olive oil

for the chili
8 ounces chorizo
1 medium onion, (diced)
4 garlic cloves, (minced)
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, (minced)
1 teaspoon adobo sauce, (from canned chiles)
3 tablespoons flour
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
15 ounces hominy, (drained and rinsed)
14.5 ounces diced tomatoes, (drained)
15 ounces black beans, (drained and rinsed)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
the pork tenderloin from above

for the pork tenderloin:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix the cumin, pepper, cocoa powder, and allspice together.
Pat the pork dry with a paper towel.
Thoroughly rub the spice mixture onto the pork.
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet until just smoking.
Brown the tenderloin on all sides, about 6 minutes.
Transfer to a baking sheet.
Roast in the oven until a instant-read thermometer registers 140 degrees, about 15-18 minutes. 
Remove and transfer onto a cutting board.
Tent with foil and allow to rest until the temperature reaches 150 degrees, about 10 minutes. 
Cut into 1 inch cubes.

for the chili:
In your pot that you are cooking the chili in, cook the chorizo over high heat, cutting and stirring with a wooden spoon as to cooks, about 4 minutes.
Add the onion and let it cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the garlic, chipotle, and adobo sause and let cook about 30 seconds.
Add the flour and stir until incorporated. 
Add the chicken broth, hominy, black beans, tomatoes, sugar, and oregano and bring to a simmer. 
Reduce hear to medium-low and continue to simmer at least 20 minutes.
Stir in the pork and cook about 5 minutes.
Stir in the cilantro and pepper to taste.
Serve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment