Thursday, February 23, 2012

Red Velvet Blossoms

Valentines Day is my favorite holiday, so I wasn't about to let being single ruin it for me!
My friend and I decided that we would be each others Valentines. I knew right away that I wanted to bake her something delicious for Valentines Day, at first I was going to make red velvet cookie sandwiches, but then I saw these Red Velvet Blossoms on The Galley Gourmet and absolutely had to try them.
The only thing I changed on these were that she used hugs and I used dark chocolate kisses.


Red Velvet Blossoms
makes 3 dozen


1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon liquid red food color
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
36 Hershey's dark chocolate kisses

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the oil, brown sugar, and sugar until no brown sugar lumps remain.
Add the egg and mix until creamy.
Mix in the food color, vanilla and vinegar.
Add the flour mixture and mix until completely combined.
Using a 1/2 ounce ice cream scoop, scoop the dough into balls, rolling gently between the palms of your hands making a smooth uniform surface.
Place the balls onto the prepared baking sheet, bake until puffed and edges are set, about 12 minutes.
Remove the cookies and press a chocolate candy into the center of each cookie.
Let the cookies rest for 1 minute, then transfer to rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment